Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 2.5

10/18/11
Westbound
There were very few people on the bus the whole way to my stop. There was an opening in the back so I ventured there. The bus was on time and sailing smoothly stopping occasionally to pick up a person and let one off. At the stop before the city college a guy got on mid 20’s white and very bloodshot eyes. He moved with a sense of slowness which I initially attributed to a developmental disability or being on a substance of some sorts. I noted a red and black checkered iron cross on his forearm and pretty much dismissed some type of developmental disorder in favor of drug use. I was listening to some old school rap music and trying to observe others, when the mid 20’s guy abruptly got up and staggered to the front and sat down. Maybe he could hear my music and did not like it. I checked to make sure if my music could be heard by others, but it was so low that I could not here it outside of my earplugs. It was probably a random thing that guy moving for there was only me and sitting to my right across the 4 seats was a younger black guy sporting a New Jersey hat workout shorts and clutching 2 bags; one a workout and the other a backpack. I could not jump to conclusions based on my limited observational material. Later, the mid 20’s guy was playing peek-a-boo with a small black child sitting on her mother’s lap. That was nice to witness as the child was cracking up.

A little over ½ ways to my stop, the bus driver pulled over on the road and stopped the bus at a gas station. Without warning she got up and went to the gas station. It was kind of weird and random. There were 7 people on the bus and all were looking at the gas station. It was very quiet, until I abruptly exclaimed…”well I hope she comes back”. Someone chuckled in the front. Tuff crowd! The bus driver came back roughly 5 minutes later, relieved I presumed. She must have been ahead of schedule or had to go so bad it did not matter, but I was just thankful she came back.
glare from window inside the bus
Smooth ride the rest of the way. Got off and strolled home.

No comments:

Post a Comment